Featured Post

Friday, September 27, 2013

Welcome Carole Brown!



PLEASE WELCOME CAROLE BROWN TO THE SUSPENSE SISTERS

 
Besides being a member and active participant of many writing groups, Carole Brown enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense and tough topics into her books, along with a touch of romance and whimsy, and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas. She and her husband reside in SE Ohio but have ministered and counseled nationally and internationally. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons? 

Connect with her here:
 
I also am part of several other blogs:
Geezers Guys and Gals:  http://geezerguysandgals.blogspot.com/
Barn Door Book Loft: http://www.barndoorbookloft.net/

Carole has graciously agreed to answer a few questions for us and she's even sharing the first page of her story!

Carol, welcome to Suspense Sisters! We’re so glad you could stop by and visit with us a bit.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I live in Southeast Ohio with Dan, my husband, and an array of animals. We are the parents of two sons--one of whom is married, and have three adorable grandsons--two adopted and one birth. I’m always on the lookout for catchy titles and suspenseful plots. Along with my adult novels, I’ve written five children’s books--Racy, the Rabbit--dealing with character traits, I’ve also won two awards for a couple different poems.

We’ve traveled extensively throughout the United States ministering and counseling and have particularly enjoyed the western states where we’ve labored with the Native Americans. I love gathering information in different states to use as folder my writing. We continue to enjoy traveling, our grandsons, the country life and city lights, gardens, and good food, and did I mention our grandsons?

What was your journey to publication like? 

I’ve written all my life, but was so busy with other ministries it was several years before I got back into writing fiction seriously. When I did I quickly learned how much I needed to re-learn, but put in time studying, gathering critique partners, attending classes and conferences, gaining an agent, and finally a publisher! Time-consuming and hard work, but very much worth it all!

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?  Who or what inspired you? 

The first time I remember writing anything significantly was in the sixth grade when we were required to write a week-long journal of a cave family. Loved doing that, and wish I still had it. I’d probably not share it, but it would be nice to see how far I’ve come. :)
 
I can’t say any particular person inspired me. I’ve always known I was to write. It was just finding the right time.  My husband, sons, and close friends have encouraged me so much to keep on. And without God’s help I wouldn’t be here today. 

How long did you write before you were published? 

Once I got back into writing fiction seriously, it was a few years. Five? Six? Enough time to complete several novels. 

Where did you get the inspiration for your newest release?

It was my husband’s idea. We like to keep up on current events, and the cult group in Texas awhile back caught our attention, we began a “what if” session, and the plot exploded from there. 

Looking back, which scene was your favorite? 

In this current book? Hmmm. I enjoyed writing the first three chapers, but probably my favorite is the last chapter. I loved writing the courtroom scene (with some help from one of my critique partners who also is an attorney) and the very last part when a spark of faith blooms within Caralynne’s heart.

Which scene was the hardest to write? 

Not sure if there was a “hardest” one. The only times it’s hard to write is when I get writing block. I know then it’s time to brainstorm with friends or my husband. Once I’m past there, I’m good to go again. :)

If  The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman  was turned into a movie, which actors do you think would best portray what you imagined for your main characters? Can you describe a few main physical features that they have?  

This is always a toughie for me, because unlike most writers, I seldom can picture my characters as any actor. Sometimes some traits are similar; but the faces and their lives get in the way.

Do you have any other books in the making? Can you give us a sneak peak of what it’s going to be about? 

I’ve already been encouraged to do two more books, but I’m not sure about that! J
The second book (unnamed yet) after The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman begins with a kidnapping. Elder Simmons, the antagonist, will not let go. He is determined to wreck vengence upon the MacFarlands, even if he has to do it from prison.

Cara and Dayne, now happily married, go through trials that will shatter their self-complacency and test their love. Dayne will be lied about and like Joseph in the Bible must hold steady for God’s timing. Cara has suffered hurts and abuse from her former marriage. With Dayne she thought everything would be smooth sailing. But when the lies surface, can she trust him, does she love him enough to stay strong for his sake? Will her mustard seed faith grow or be uprooted?

I’m always working on several novels at a time. I have several new ones, one of which my agent is beginning to shop, set in Montana about an inexperienced detective who’s out to solve the mystery of her older brother’s murder. In the meantime she has to find the psychopath who’s out to destroy Jamieson’s Outfitters. 

I’m working on the second book of a suspense series set in the WWII era, a historical, and several other “second” books in series I’ve begun. 

A writer never runs out of ideas!

Do you like to read as much as you like to write?  Who is your favorite author? 

I don’t have any specific favorite writer. I love so many secular and inspirational writers. This past year I parted with many books, but I’ve learned that some books are keepers--those which are particularly enjoyable and have made an impact on me, and those of friends whose books I’ve received or purchased. I love seeing rows of books from classics to childhood to friends, fiction and non-fiction, lining my shelves. J

What are two things that people wouldn't normally know about you as a writer and or person? 

* I work best when home alone (not at a eating/coffee place). Too many people to watch to concentrate on writing.
* I love a man’s ability to play a sax or piano more than a woman. I don’t know why; just appreciate their touch, I think, more than a woman’s.

Anything else about writing, yourself, or your books you’d like to add? Where can readers find out more about your books? 

The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is about a cult, abuse, revenge and redemption. It’s about Hope Shining Through the Darkness. Release date is September 30, but it’s ON SALE RIGHT NOW (print) here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938499948/

I also have a mystery coming out in October called, Hog Insane, and no, it’s not about pigs. Denton and Alex Davies, retirees, and their dog, Taffy, are traveling several months a year. When they venture to Tennessee they are on the lookout for their minister and his wife’s nephew, to pass on a message. Instead they find his body.

What question would you like to ask your readers?
Would you rather laugh throughout a book or be stirred to action? (nothing wrong with either!)


About the book:
How far would YOU go to avenge a daughter’s cruel death? Cara is considered rebellious and inappropriate to befriend. Dayne is the apple of Elder Simmons’ eye—until he takes a stand against their teachings. Can his prayers and love reach Cara and show her the way to redemption? Will Cara realize God’s love and forgiveness before she goes too far?

The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is a novel of hope shining through the darkness with strong elements of suspense and romance. This novel was a semifinalist in the Genesis contest. Release date is September 30, 2013 from the Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas, an ACFW approved publisher. The preorder link for the book which is on SALE NOW is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938499948/
 


THE FIRST PAGE



The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman

Carole Brown

Chapter One

Twenty years earlier
The shadow creatures on the wall shook their wings and legs. Heads with horns nodded. Scary, dark faces watched.
The little girl clasped her floppy-eared rabbit against her chest and stared into the dark.
“Mmm …” Mommy’s murmur reached to her through the walls, and the giggles from her mother tiptoed in, shooing the fear away.
Whoosh. She blew out a breath and squeezed her rabbit tighter. “Mommy has a friend with her, Ramsey. She loves me just like I love you and will give me hugs in the morning after the man leaves.”
Ramsey said nothing. She ran her fingers over his face and could feel his black button eyes staring at her, trusting her to protect him.
“And she’ll read to us and I’ll sit on her lap and we’ll snuggle—all of us together.” She nodded and tugged on Ramsey’s left ear then rolled over.
Real live whispers and laughter floated into the room.
Opening her mouth in a wide yawn, she patted Ramsey’s tummy and whispered again, “Don’t be afraid. I’m right here.”
“Please. That hurts.”
“Mommy?” The little girl frowned but her eyes wouldn’t open. Just like they did when she and mommy put cucumbers slices on their eyes. 
“Stop it—”
             Rubbing at her eyes the little girl sat up. Mommy had never sounded like this before, and neither had any of the men—the men who brought flowers and candy and money.






1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this interview with Carole and look forward to the release of THE REDEMPTION OF CARALYNNE HAYMAN!

    ReplyDelete